Learn the Signs
Some signs of domestic violence and abuse are more obvious than others. Below are a few of the most common signs of domestic abuse and violence, from safehorizon.com, the largest non-profit victim services agency in the United States.
Does your partner ever:
• Accuse you of cheating and being disloyal?
• Make you feel worthless?
• Hurt you by hitting, choking or kicking you?
• Intimidate and threaten to hurt you or someone you love?
• Threaten to hurt themselves if they don’t get what they want?
• Try to control what you do and who you see?
• Isolate you?
• Pressure or force you into unwanted sex?
• Control your access to money?
• Stalk you, including calling you constantly or following you?
If you recognise these signs of domestic violence and suspect that you, or someone you know is in an abusive relationship, contact an organisation dedicated to assisting in this situation.
Source: DIG Jamaica